For those of you who are taking part in the six week class at Westwood Church called “Uncommon Faith“, here are the requirements to work through before week 1 (in others words, you are to complete this assignment before the first class on January 25th):
- If you would like to know some of the “why” and “how” of the course, read this excerpt from my dissertation.
- Read Deuteronomy 31-34 in your favourite translation.
- Read Deuteronomy 34:1-12 in three different translations (if you want suggestions, I recommend these three for this course: NET, TNIV, ESV).
- In Deuteronomy 34:10-12, do you see a structure to the text? Repeated words/ideas, progression of words/ideas, an overall statement with supporting points, etc.
- Specifically, what is the narrator’s assessment of Moses?
- Why do you think that the narrator made that assessment?
If you take the time to work through the Biblical passage each week, you will see tremendous benefits during our short class time together on Sunday mornings. If you write down your answers, other observations about the text, questions about the passage, etc, we will probably have some great discussions and applications throughout the class!